Many thanks for dropping by to my blog.
For further information please visit my website http://www.michelle-smart.com/

Saturday 11 February 2012

More Revisions!!!!!

Last night I received an email from the editor (she must work crazy hours) with the latest batch of revisions for me. As you may recall I had an email from her a couple of weeks ago promising she would be in touch 'next week' but what I never mentioned was that she also told me it had been passed on to the Senior Editor for Modern (Presents) and it would be the senior ed's thoughts she would be passing on as well as few of her own. To say I was cacking myself would be an understatement - what if the senior ed hated it???? Luckily she didn't. She said I have 'great potential', a 'very readable voice' and 'a sexy story'.
When I saw the actual revisions they wanted though, my heart sank. It went on for so long it felt as if I had taken a step backwards. But then I reread them this morning and I realised they were not as bad as I first feared. Basically, my hero needs a lot more fleshing out - there are times when he's coming across as cruel and the underlying motivation behind it isn't coming through. As the ed said, by the halfway point in the book, the reader does not really know him. Also, my heroine, at a few points, comes across as a walkover. There was then a list of fourteen specific examples highlighting these points, and a couple of suggestions as to the hero's motivation.
Now, in the (very) cold light of day, I can see exactly where they're coming from.  They've asked if I can get it to them by the end of the month which is completely doable. My ed also said: 'If you have any queries please just let me know - I'm here to help you do the best job possible and would love to see you bring this all together.' Methinks she might regret that when I start bombarding her!
I already know how I'm going to fix it but what I don't know is if I'm going to be able to pull it off. I have a feeling that this time, the revisions are a case of do or die.
I shall be heading off to the revisions cave now, and will let you know when I've got them done.
Take care all xxx

7 comments:

  1. Already said it in subcare but thought I'd pop over and say it here too, good luck you can do this!! And do clarify things with the ed if you need to best to ask ask a few questions now than get it wrong and regret it!!

    Super excited for you!!

    Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck Michelle! I know you can do it! And you know where I am if you need another set of eyes.

    Love your use of the word 'cacking'! Sums it up perfectly, but you'll do great!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very best of luck Michelle. That sounds so very encouraging particularly if they've given you a deadline and such specific points. Sending you positive writing vibes.

    Nina xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic, you are nearly there!! And you can so do this. Loads of luck, can't wait to hear how it goes! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle I want to give you a big hug and a confidence boost. You're working with the editor I did at Mills and Boon and I did four sets of revisions for her before I sold. My book went back and forth to the senior editor too, and some of the revisions were reversing things I'd been asked to do before. Sometimes I think they stagger revisions to see if a) you'll do them - because lots don't and b)to try and not terrify you with the changes they actually want. So head down Michelle. Write yourself a bullet point list making sure you tackle every point she gives you (those revision emails can be complicated) and if you're not sure about something - ask. I had a telephone call to talk through my final set of revisions and nailed it after that. Will be waiting for your Call Story...... Best Wishes Scarlet x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome news!! I'm so happy for you! Wonderful advice from Scarlet, too. Am rooting for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to say thank you all so very much for your support. Scarlet, I've taken your advice and have written a list of bullet points (mind you, the revisions email has been read so many times is practically tattooed in my brain!).
    Chris, Aimee, Nina, Charlotte, Scarlet and Catherine, thank you all xxx

    ReplyDelete