Many thanks for dropping by to my blog.
For further information please visit my website http://www.michelle-smart.com/

Saturday 5 January 2013

Lessons Learned and Looking Forward

I'm going to start by wishing each and every one of you a Happy New Year. I did debate writing this post a few days ago as 2013 chimed in but as I was at a party and a teensy weensy bit tiddled, I forgot all about it.

So much happened for me and so many of my lovely writing buddies during 2012 that it's still hard for me to get my head around it all. Here's an excerpt of my post written on the 1st January 2012:

And so we come to the dreaded New Year's Resolution. I've never been one for making resolutions just because I'm supposed to and this year will be no different. My goals haven't changed. I love, love, love writing and the dream is still to be published by M&B. If the book with them (no, I haven't heard anything but thanks for asking) is ultimately rejected then so be it - I will simply bombard them with the next one. And the next. And the next. And the... you get my drift.

Well the book in questions was rejected (after three rounds of revisions). That same book, now entitled Tempted by Trouble, subsequently sold to Entangled and will be published in March. I also embarked on a new book for M&B, working under the close guidance of my lovely editor there. Finally, on the 19th September, I received The Call. That book, entitled The Rings That Bind, will be published in August. After dreaming and trying and persevering for year and years, 2013 will finally see my name in print. Who knows, maybe book two of my M&B contract will be published this year too... I've got to finish writing it first!

So what have I learnt over the past year? Number one, the year reiterated the need for perseverance. That, to me, is the greatest lesson any wannabe writer can learn. Take the knocks on the chin because you and your writing will come back stronger for them. The second lesson I have learned is that a good editor who is on your side is worth more than all the tea in China. In the past twelve months I have worked under four editors - both my original M&B and Entangled editors moved on to pastures new. Charlotte, my new M&B editor, is a diamond whose patience knows no limits. Keyren, my new Entangled editor, is so on-the-ball it's scary. I have no doubt whatsoever that both Charlotte and Keyren believe in me and my writing, and I adore them both.
On the flip side, an editor who is not on your side can totally destroy your confidence - a writer's relationship with an editor is unique in that you are dependent on them, not just for their guidance in making your book the best it can be, but also to act as your advocate within the publishing house. Because of that dependency, some writers feel they have to swallow behaviour they would never accept from anyone else, either personally or professionally. I would write more about this but I can see it turning into a full-length post on it's own so shall save it for another day!

Before I sign off, I would like to wish Tara Pammi, Victoria Parker, Jennifer Drogell and Jennifer Faye all the best with their debut HMB releases this year. I would also like to wish Aimee Duffy and Lindsay Pryor all the best with their follow-ups - these ladies have a busy year ahead for them! Finally, I wish you all the luck in the world on your own unique journey and hope 2013 brings you much peace, love and happiness.

Take care, xxx

9 comments:

  1. Michelle
    What a lovely post. Am off to make up a perseverance cheerleader chant to perform daily in front of the mirror. Or is that odd??
    And lots of congratulations to you and everyone else you mentioned on a wonderful year with lots of well deserved success.
    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nina! No, I don't think performing a daily cheerleader chant is odd. Altogether now: Two, Four, Six, Eight, Who do we...
      xxx

      Delete
  2. Congrats Chelle. I'm hoping 2013 not only sees the sale of your second, but third, fourth and fifth to HMB. I know you can do it. I'm in awe of the amount of words you get out on a daily basis and the quality is top notch. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a fine one to talk - I swear your fingers are fuelled by rocket power! xxx

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year, Michelle! May it be another great one, filled with publishing success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a Happy New Year to you stranger! Hope you're well and that 2013 brings you everything you wish for xxx

      Delete
  4. Great post Michelle! So happy to have found you along my writing journey and here's to us meeting in person some day soon! I cannot wait to read your debuts, and all the ones after that :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, here to meeting in person! To anyone reading this comment, the Jennifer Drogell I wished luck to on her debut writes under the name of Jennifer Hayward - sorry Jen, I forgot! xxx

      Delete
  5. Happy 2013! I can't wait to see your books published!

    This is the year I HAVE TO SUBMIT TO HMB! Expect to hear from me when I'm less stressed and more writerly - you have been warned ;)

    ReplyDelete